After kicking off the 2017 X-Trial campaign in the best possible way with a magnificent win in Barcelona, Repsol Honda Team are once again back in action as the indoor trial season arrives in Wiener Neustadt, Austria.
FIM X-Trial’s current championship title holder Toni Bou and his Repsol Honda Team companion Takahisa Fujinami are all set to tackle the second round of the trial calendar as the championship moves on to Austria, this Saturday 11th March, in Wiener Neustadt’s Arena Nova.
Toni Bou came away from the opening X-Trial event earlier this year in Barcelona with a victory that saw the incumbent champion lead from start to finish. The Catalan will be looking for more of the same in 2017 and currently sports a three-point advantage over the nearest second-place rival in the overall world championship standings.
Bou’s long-standing Repsol Honda buddy Takahisa Fujinami lines up alongside him for the event. The Japanese rider will be looking to set the record straight after the unexpectedly disappointing result picked up in the Catalan opener. The Austrian course should prove to be much better-suited to the indoor style than the previous outing had been.
Jaime Busto, fifth in the overall standings, will not take part in the event, having done so as the organization’s wildcard in the Barcelona trial.
The eight participants will be able to check out the sections that they will be faced with from 11:00 on the Saturday of the trial. Qualifying begins at 18:50 with the final between the top four scheduled to commence at 21:30. In both phases, riders will pit their skills against six hazards before the day’s winner is eventually decided.
FACTS AND FIGURES
- 1 – The only win to date for Takahisa Fujinami in an indoor trial was in Koblenz, Germany in 2004.
- 3 – This is the third time that the X-Trial World Championship visits Wiener Neustadt with Toni Bou taking top honours on both previous occasions.
- 6 – The number of sections in this, the second round of the X-Trial World Championship.
- 18.50 – Time that the qualifying round of the trial begins in the Arena Nova.
- 21.30 – Time that the final of the trial begins in the Arena Nova.
- 49, 61, 72 – Toni Bou has accumulated 49 victories in indoor events. The Spaniard has been on the podium 61 times out of the 72 indoor trials that he has taken part in.
- 1313 – Points tally of Toni Bou in indoor X-Trial World Championships.
- 1585 – Number of points scored by Fujigas in the 128 trials that he has participated in.
- 1784 – Kilometres from Palau Sant Jordi to the Arena Nova de Wiener Neustadt, hosts of the opening two X-Trial championship events.